Thursday, July 12, 2007

15 Months for McTague

Well, frankly it's more than I expected. Denning McTague, the Thieving Intern, will be spending 15 months in federal prison for his crimes, the AP reports.

"'I'm so deeply sorry,' a tearful McTague told U.S. District Judge Stewart Dalzell. 'I feel like I've inflicted a lot of pain on the people at the archives.'"

"McTague's lawyer described him as a quiet, decent man who became mired in debt as he earned two graduate degrees and tried to keep afloat the rare book business he had inherited from his mother. McTague, however, told a psychiatrist that he was angry his internship was unpaid, prompting Dalzell to question whether revenge was a motivating factor."

McTague will also pay a $3,000 fine.

It's not enough time, nor is it even at the high end of what the prosecutors wanted (18 months), nor will he serve it all ... but it is definitely a harsher sentence than I expected he'd get.