Sunday, December 31, 2017

Year-End Reading Report 2017

I think it's somewhat fair to say that 2017 will be another year I won't be sad to see the back of, but I have high hopes for 2018.

I read 174 books this year, and here are my favorites (excluding re-reads). I went with ten each this year, for no real reason at all other than I wanted to. These are the books that made me think, or laugh, and/or cry this year.

Fiction

Kristin Lavransdottir by Sigrid Undset

Tales by H.P. Lovecraft (the Library of America edition)

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

The Martian by Andy Weir

The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman

When the English Fall by David Williams

If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Non-Fiction

An American Family: A Memoir of Hope and Sacrifice by Khizr Khan

March by John Lewis (with graphics by Nate Powell)

The Early Life of James McBey: An Autobiography (edited by Nicolas Barker)

H is for Hawk by Helen McDonald

Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

Watching the English by Kate Fox

Printer's Error by Rebecca and J.P. Romney

A Short Residence in Sweden, Norway and Denmark and Memoirs of the Author of the 'Rights of Woman' by Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin

The Victory with No Name by Colin Calloway

Happy New Year to you all, and good reading!



Previous year's reports: 20162015201420132012201120102009200820072006.